Friday 29 May 2020

Henry Kenyon, Mia-Jane Harris, Simon Richardson and Chiara Cavarzan - Art of Caring 2020

Welcome to the Art of Caring 2020. Today we introduce the work of 4 artists who have contributed work to this year's exhibition....Henry Kenyon, Mia-Jane Harris, Simon Richardson and Chiara Cavarzan. The Art of Caring is an annual inclusive international art exhibition celebrating Nurses, Midwives, Carers, and the NHS. Thank you to the School of Nursing at Kingston University for their support.

Mia-Jane Harris
"Nurses and the NHS in general have played many significant roles in my life. There were complications during my birth which resulted in me being born deceased and after resuscitation left with Erbs Palsy, the partial paralysis and stunted growth of my right arm due to damaged nerves. I have a lot to thank the healthcare service for when it comes to how far I have progressed in my life and I will be forever grateful." 
After studying Fine Art at ‘City & Guilds of London Art School’ and ‘University of East London’ I have now been exhibiting internationally for around 8 years. Predominantly working as a sculptor most of my art is based around surreal juxtapositions between the medical/anatomical and the religious/spiritual.
instagram.com/art_of_miajane_harris

Simon Richardson
"Both my mum and dad had to have stays in hospital, particularly towards the end of their lives.  The nurses on the wards were always caring and respectful and did all they could to make the time my parents had to be there as comfortable as possible."
My painting 'Swimming in Monet's Pond: Water Lilies' was one of the works in the Art of Caring 2019 exhibition.  I very much enjoyed being part of that show and am pleased that my painting 'On the Beach' is in the Art of Caring exhibition this year.
SimonArtTherapy on Instagram.

Henry Kenyon
"I have been very lucky to know nurses through my life. All of them have been incredibly morally influential, implicitly teaching attentiveness, kindness and bonhomie. Their position in our disparate and nebulous society is a potent injection of paternal care that we all benefit from and ought never be complacent towards."
I am an observational and portrait photographer living in Wapping, east London. Photography is a wonderful prism for curiosity. For me, making photographs is saying (without ’saying’) ‘what is that thing, can I stare at it?’ - I think this is a perfectly suitable definition of photography, a long good stare. And it is something I believe we all do. What evolutionary trait would be useful if we turned away instantly to something shocking and dramatic, or romantic and whimsical happening right before us? Following through with what or who you are staring at, photography can be a ticket to meet so many intriguing people. I hope photography will be a benign tool for a society to understand ourselves and others better. My first thought of what an ingredient for a healthy life looked like was happiness. Photographs that present a shared enjoyment with the subject/person within (I certainly enjoyed making it), could help photography slowly return to being something made always in a partnership - the photographer and the rest of society in front of them.

Chiara Cavarzan


No comments:

Post a Comment